Are you writing for children?
Would you like feedback on your draft manuscript of a children’s book?
I’d be happy to help you improve your writing with a substantive critique of a short/partial manuscript:
- picture book or chapter book (text only) up to 1000 words
- middle-reader fiction or non-fiction up to 10 pages, about 2400 words
My critique would include:
- 2-page letter of detailed comments
- an overview of presentation style, structure, and age targeting, as well as a sharper focus on elements such as character, point of view, voice, dialogue, setting, conflict, plot and theme
- suggestions for revision
- response to 3 specific questions about the manuscript.
Fees for manuscript evaluation:
Please contact me at email@example.com for details of fees and timelines.
My editing/critiquing experience
As an Instructor (2002-2015) for the Connecticut-based, Institute of Children’s Literature, I guided hundreds of adult writers through a 10-assignment program— “Writing for Children and Teenagers”. Each exercise required detailed line editing, anecdotal critique with suggestions for revision, as well as assistance with crafting a query or cover letter, synopsis or proposal.
From 1993 to 1999, I evaluated manuscripts for another correspondence course, Writing for Children, administered first by University of Regina Extension and later by the Saskatchewan Writers Guild.
I have volunteered as a Reader/Evaluator (2018-2021) for CANSCAIP’s annual Writing for Children Competition.
Since 2000, I have regularly reviewed children’s books for CM: Canadian Review of Materials, an online publication at CM Magazine: Canadian Review of Materials (umanitoba.ca)
My Published work
I am a multi-genre, award-winning writer of 20 published books for young readers that include picture books, chapter books, novels, and nonfiction. I have written over 40 short stories and articles for children’s magazines such as Cricket, Ladybug, Nature Friend, KNOW and WILD.
A list of my published work can be seen on my Books page.